[Two Men Who Prayed: Luke 18:9-14]
“Be humble or you’ll stumble.” – Dwight L. Moody
- I am the least of the apostles – 1 Corinthians 15:9
- I am the very least of all the saints. – Ephesians 3:8
- I am the foremost of sinners. – 1 Timothy 1:15
“I tell you, this man went down to his house justified, rather than the other. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but the one who humbles himself will be exalted.” – Luke 18:14 [ESV]
Humbles Himself – Tapeinoó – humiliate, abase, bring low, humble self
Exalted – hupsoó – raise on high, lift up, set on high
“A person’s pride will humble him, but a humble spirit will gain honor.” – Proverbs 29:23 [HCSB]
“Humble yourselves, therefore, under God’s mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time.” – 1 Peter 5:6 [NIV]
We all fall short / Through Christ alone we are justified (Romans 3:23-24)
“Though I am righteous, my mouth will condemn me; Though I am guiltless, He will declare me guilty.” – Job 9:20 [NASB]
You cannot fake it / God knows your heart
“And He said to them, “You are those who justify yourselves in the sight of men, but God knows your hearts; for that which is highly esteemed among men is detestable in the sight of God.” – Luke 16:15 [NASB]
“I believe the first test of a truly great man is his humility. I do not mean by humility, doubt of his own power, or hesitation in speaking his opinion. But really great men have a … feeling that the greatness is not in them but through them; that they could not do or be anything else than God made them.” – John Riskin
Bible Study Questions:
1) What are some of the positive attributes of the Pharisee who prayed?
2) What are some of the negative attributes of the Pharisee who prayed?
3) How would you describe the Tax Collector who prayed? What were his good points?
4) What gets in the way of your humility?
5) What are some things you can do to help you live a humble life?
6) Luke 18:14 says, “I tell you, this man went down to his house justified, rather than the other. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but the one who humbles himself will be exalted” (ESV).
What does it mean to be justified?
What does it mean that everyone who exalts himself will be humbled?
What does it mean that one who humbles himself will be exalted?
More Than A Story is a 12-week Sermon Series and Bible Study focused on the parables of Jesus.