The Power of God – Omnipotence (all-powerful)
- Parted the Red Sea & the Jordan River
- Reattached the ear of the soldier
- Raised the dead – Resurrection Power!
God’s power is GREAT – God’s power is UNABLE TO BE MEASURED
- 19 “And what is the immeasurable greatness of His power toward us who believe, according to the working of his great might.” [ESV]
- 21-22 “Now He is far above any ruler or authority or power or leader or anything else–not only in this world but also in the world to come. God has put all things under the authority of Christ and has made him head over all things for the benefit of the church.” [NLT]
All things under the feet of Jesus
He is above
- All authorities
- All powers
- All dominions
- Every name named in this age & the age to come
- The Church
- God raised Jesus – defeated death / broke the power of death (v. 20a)
- God seated Jesus at His right hand – and we are seated with Him! (v. 20b)
- God set Jesus over all demonic powers (v. 21)
- God gave Jesus as head over all things to the Church (v. 22)
- Where God rules, we believers rule (v. 23)
The Apostle Paul is praying in this passage. He wants us to know three things:
- The hope to which He has called you
- The riches of His glorious inheritance in the saints
- The immeasurable greatness of His power toward us who believe
Paul is saying…
- You have the calling
- You are heirs – you have an inheritance
- You have the power of God
He is praying that you may KNOW – that you would know this power toward us
Bible Study Questions:
How would you describe the power of God?
We have the power of God within us. Why does it sometimes seem otherwise? What gets in the way of this power?
What helps us to know the power of God?
How can we use this power within us?
Read 1 Peter 4:11. Why do we want to live our lives with this power?
When you have seen the power of God at work?