Daily Archives: February 25th, 2016
“We are hard pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed” (2 Corinthians 4:8-9)
“He put on righteousness as a breastplate, and a helmet of salvation on his head; he put on garments of vengeance for clothing, and wrapped himself in zeal as a cloak.” (Isaiah 59:17)
11, 13 – Put on the WHOLE armor of God – Don’t walk around half-dressed, under-dressed or naked
WHY? You put on the whole armor of God TO STAND AGAINST THE SCHEMES OF THE DEVIL (v. 11), to WITHSTAND IN THE EVIL DAY & TO STAND FIRM (v. 13) [SATAN]
12 – The battle is not against flesh and blood. It is against: rulers, authorities, cosmic powers over present darkness, spiritual forces of evil in heavenly places [DEMONS]
14-18 – The Whole Armor:
- Belt of Truth (v. 14) – Ephesians 4:14 – “As a result, we are no longer to be children, tossed here and there by waves and carried about by every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, by craftiness in deceitful scheming.”
- Breastplate of Righteousness (v. 14) – Righteousness of Jesus – Romans 3:22 – “We are made right with God by placing our faith in Jesus Christ. And this is true for everyone who believes, no matter who we are.”
- Shoes of the Gospel of Peace (v. 15) – Inner peace and readiness – Confidence of God’s union with – Ephesians 2:14 – “For Christ himself has brought peace to us. He united Jews and Gentiles into one people when, in his own body on the cross, he broke down the wall of hostility that separated us.”
- Shield of Faith (v. 16) – Trusting God – walking in faith – Hebrews 11:1 – “Faith is the confidence that what we hope for will actually happen; it gives us assurance about things we cannot see.”
- Helmet of Salvation (v. 17) – Salvation through faith in Christ – Great hope of salvation – 1 Thessalonians 5:8 – “But let us who live in the light be clearheaded, protected by the armor of faith and love, and wearing as our helmet the confidence of our salvation.”
- Sword of the Spirit – Word of God (v. 17) – Countering deception and accusation – Hebrew 4:12 – “For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart.”
- PRAYING AT ALL TIMES (v. 18) – 1 Thessalonians 5:17 – “Pray without ceasing.”
With JESUS – VICTORY [STANDING FIRM]
But it’s not automatically passed down – must take possession. Even after conversion Satan can still defeat you if you disobey God.
Resist the devil and he will flee from you (James 4:7)
Stand firm – “Be of sober spirit, be on the alert. Your adversary, the devil, prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. But resist him, firm in your faith, knowing that the same experiences of suffering are being accomplished by your brethren who are in the world.” (1 Peter 5:8-9)
Bible Study Questions
The Helmet of Salvation (v. 17) is crucial for battle. A soldier does not enter battle without proper headgear, just as a football player would not run on the field without his helmet. A helmet is crucial to life, protecting your head from fatal blows. Why is the Helmet of Salvation crucial to battle?
Read Ephesians 6:16. This verse speaks of the flaming darts (fiery arrows) of the devil.
- What are the flaming darts?
- How does the shield of faith stop them?
Righteousness is important. We cannot be righteous. We clothe ourselves in the righteousness of Christ. We are called to put on the Breastplate of Righteousness for battle. Read Colossians 3:2 and Philippians 4:8. What does this have to do with putting on the Breastplate?
The Shoes of the Gospel of Peace are the footwear for battle. The Bible reminds us that because of Christ we are at peace with God. God is for us. Through Christ we are no longer separated from God. How do the Shoes fit us for battle?