Tag Archives: 1 John 4:20
I recently shared a devotional on being one who provides encouragement to others. Here’s the outline for reference / resource. To download this, follow the link below.
Be a Barnabas
“Let us think of ways to motivate one another to acts of love and good works. And let us not neglect our meeting together, as some people do, but encourage one another, especially now that the day of his return is drawing near.” – Hebrews 10:24-25 [NLT]
The apostles sent Barnabas to Antioch — “When he arrived and saw what the grace of God had done, he was glad and encouraged them all to remain true to the Lord with all their hearts. He was a good man, full of the Holy Spirit and faith, and a great number of people were brought to the Lord.” – Acts 11:23-24 [NIV]
Acts 4:36-37 – Barnabas sold land to provide for fellow Christians
Acts 9:26-28 – Barnabas (“Son of Encouragement”) took a chance on Paul. Others weren’t accepting him in Jerusalem because they didn’t believe he was a disciple but Barnabas spoke up for him.
Barnabas provided encouragement to John Mark. There was a disagreement between Paul and Barnabas over John Mark. Barnabas didn’t give up on John Mark and Paul later requested John Mark because he was “profitable to the ministry” (2 Timothy 4).
- ENCOURAGE – help them develop to who they are meant to be in Christ, give support, give confidence
- Put yourself aside and help others get ahead [Philippians 2:3-4]
- “Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.” – Ephesians 4:29 [MSG] SPEAK LIFE
- EQUIP – Give them tools needed, supply someone something, prepare someone, be an example.
- EMPOWER – Create opportunities for them to serve others, give authority – don’t always say yes to something because you think no one will step up. You end up filling up what God designed someone else to fill and spreading yourself too thing.
- EMBRACE – Love them, care for them, pray for them, accept, support, hold closely
- Loving God includes loving people (1 John 4:20-21)
- Paul told Timothy – 1st thing PRAY every way you know how for everyone you know – 1 Timothy 2:1-3
- “Welcome with open arms fellow believers who don’t see things the way you do…. Treat them gently.” – Romans 14:1 [MSG]
- Strong and able in faith – step in and lend a hand to those who falter à How can I help? “We who are strong have an obligation to bear with the failings of the weak, and not to please ourselves.” – Romans 15:1 [ESV]
William Barclay said, “No man ever saved his soul who devoted his whole time and energy to saving it, but many a man has saved it by being so concerned for others that he forgot that he himself had a soul to save.”