8-26-17 – Provision – “FEAST ON JESUS”
BREAD OF LIFE
John 6:35 – Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me shall not hunger, and whoever believes in me shall never thirst.
John 7:37-39 – On the last day of the feast, the great day, Jesus stood up and cried out, “If anyone thirsts, let him come to me and drink. Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, ‘Out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.’”(When he said “living water,” he was speaking of the Spirit, who would be given to everyone believing in him. But the Spirit had not yet been given, because Jesus had not yet entered into his glory.)
John 4:10, 13-14 – Jesus replied, “If you only knew the gift God has for you and who you are speaking to, you would ask me, and I would give you living water.” … Jesus replied, “Anyone who drinks this water will soon become thirsty again. But those who drink the water I give will never be thirsty again. It becomes a fresh, bubbling spring within them, giving them eternal life.”
1 Corinthians 2:10-12– But it was to us that God revealed these things by his Spirit. For his Spirit searches out everything and shows us God’s deep secrets. No one can know a person’s thoughts except that person’s own spirit, and no one can know God’s thoughts except God’s own Spirit. And we have received God’s Spirit (not the world’s spirit), so we can know the wonderful things God has freely given us.
Luke 22:15-20 – And he said to them, “I have eagerly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer.For I tell you, I will not eat it again until it finds fulfillment in the kingdom of God.”After taking the cup, he gave thanks and said, “Take this and divide it among you.For I tell you I will not drink again from the fruit of the vine until the kingdom of God comes.”And he took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me.”In the same way, after the supper he took the cup, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which is poured out for you.”
- Look Back in Remembrance
- Of Christ, of what Christ did on Cross, of the love of Christ (1 Corinthians 11:24)
- AFFECTIONATELY REMEMBER
- Body of Christ broken for you
- Blood of Christ poured out for you
- Poured out – GAVE His life.
- 1 Peter 4:20 before the foundation of world
- Wasn’t spilled like an accident
- Look Ahead to His Coming
- As often as you eat bread & drink cup – proclaim the Lord’s death until He comes (I Corinthians 11:26)
- Look Within
- Examine yourself before Communion (1 Corinthians 11:28)
- THOROUGHLY EXAMINE
- Doximazo “dok-im-ad-zo”
- Discern / examine / test / prove
- Repent of any sin, if you don’t do this you dishonor the body of Christ and damn self (v. 29)
Jesus and His disciples during Last Supper drank:
1stcup (sanctification– He chose us to be set apart)
2ndcup (deliverance– He alone sets us free from the bondage of our sin)
3rdcup (redemption– He alone pays our ransom price) was one drank for introduction to Holy Communion teaching.
Still had 4thcup (hope– we have hope in the coming of Jesus) to drink in New Jerusalem
Have you answered the call? Are you ready for His return?
Isaiah 55:1 – Come, everyone who thirsts, come to the waters; and he who has no money, come, buy and eat! Come, buy wine and milk without money and without price.
Revelation 7:16-17– Never again will they hunger; never again will they thirst.The sun will not beat down on them,’ nor any scorching heat. For the Lamb at the center of the throne will be their shepherd; ‘he will lead them to springs of living water.’ ‘And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes.’
Revelation 19:7 – Let us rejoice and be glad and give the glory to Him, for the marriage of the Lamb has come and His bride has made herself ready.
3 parts of wedding:
- Marriage contract signed by parents, dowry paid for bride & then the engagement begins
- About a year later, the groom and friends go to house of the bride, then they parade through the streets. The bride knew in advance that it would happen in about a year, but didn’t have the exact time. She best be ready (Matthew 25:1-13, Parable of the Ten Virgins) – 1-year engagement
- Supper went on for days (John 2:1-2) – 7-day feast – most important people invited first & everyone stayed then to the end of celebration.
1stphase is completed – New Covenant with God, believer put faith in Christ, dowry paid to God the Father – the blood of Christ was shed on the bride’s behalf.
2ndphase – Christ is coming to claim His bride
3rdphase – Wedding Feast with the Lamb
HOW CAN WE PREPARE:
Matthew 4:4 – But he answered, “It is written, “‘Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.’”
Jeremiah 15:16 – Your words were found and I ate them, And Your words became for me a joy and the delight of my heart; For I have been called by Your name, O LORD God of hosts.
John 10:14-15– I am the good shepherd; I know my own sheep, and they know me, just as my Father knows me and I know the Father. So I sacrifice my life for the sheep. YOU RECOGNIZE WHO YOU KNOW
Ephesians 5:25-29– Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her, that he might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word, so that he might present the church to himself in splendor, without spot or wrinkle or any such thing, that she might be holy and without blemish.In the same way husbands should love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. For no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as Christ does the church
John 4:32, 34 – But Jesus replied, “I have a kind of food you know nothing about.”… Then Jesus explained: “My nourishment comes from doing the will of God, who sent me, and from finishing his work.
AS YOU EAT THE WORD, YOU FIND NOURISHMENT FOLLOWING IT.
If seeking this close, intimate relationship with Jesus – PRAYER IS CRUCIAL
Psalm 63:1 – You, God, are my God, earnestly I seek you; I thirst for you, my whole being longs for you, in a dry and parched land where there is no water.
The book of Revelation – how the Church prays to initiate things to happen. Our prayer life must be active.
We read in Revelation 8 of the prayers of God’s people filling bowls and being mixed with fire (God’s Power). It is these prayer offerings from the saints that lead to the 7 trumpetswhich move us toward the New Heaven and New Earth!
Revelation 22:17– The Spirit and the bride say, “Come!” And let the one who hears say, “Come!” Let the one who is thirsty come; and let the one who wishes take the free gift of the water of life. We as Church should cry out EVEN SO COME
Psalm 42:1-2 – As the deer longs for streams of water, so I long for you, O God. I thirst for God, the living God. When can I go and stand before him?
We should desire to be with God… to be near Him… to commune with Him… to be in His Presence always!
Let us feast on Jesus!
Let us be washed by the Word!
Let us prepare for the coming of our King!
Let us cry out to the Lord in Prayer…. Even So Come!
Lord, we are desperate for You Lord!
We wait for You!
- 4-5 – Predestined us for adoption as sons through Jesus Christ
- He knew before the foundation that we would be separated. (1 Peter 4:20)
- He predestined us for adoption.
- Everyone who believes through faith is a child of God. (Galatians 3:26, John 1:12)
- 11 – Obtained an inheritance
- This inheritance is ALREADY ours through Jesus Christ.
- 13 – Sealed with promise of inheritance
- The Holy Spirit is our guarantee
Adopted Children of God:
- Receive New Rights (Galatians 4:4-7)
- Identical legal rights as blood child
- All riches in Christ & citizenship in heaven
- God will care for us
- Adopted parent is granted full rights & responsibility of natural father
- Complete authority over child
- Legal role as caregiver
- Relationships will change
- Our relationship with God changes
- God the Father – not only judge, Loving Father
- God the Son – not only Lord, Savior and Brother
- God the Holy Spirit – not only calls & sanctifies but Spirit of adoption within us
- Our relationship with others changes
- Our relationship with God changes
1 John 3:1-2 – “See what great love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are! The reason the world does not know us is that it did not know him. Dear friends, now we are children of God, and what we will be has not yet been made known. But we know that when Christ appears, we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is.” [NIV]
Romans 8:14 – “All those led by God’s Spirit are God’s sons.” [HCSB]
Bible Study Questions:
- Verses 4-5 speak of predestination. The Bible says that before the foundation of the world, God knew that we would need Jesus Christ. What does this term predestination mean?
- Ephesians 1:10 says, “As a plan for the fullness of time, to unite all things in him, things in heaven and things on earth.” What is this fullness of time? What does this mean?
- In verse 11, the passage says we “obtained and inheritance.” How is this different from an inheritance we may receive from our earthly family?
- God has sealed us with a promise it says (v. 13). The Holy Spirit is our guarantee of an inheritance. But this guarantee is not like a normal promissory note that you hold until the time of the collection. What benefits to we have the Holy Spirit?