Tag Archives: Ephesians 3:13
Paul wrote over half of the books in the New Testament. Paul knew the Scriptures well. Paul had an encounter with Jesus and a special calling to preach to the Gentiles. He had many reasons to be puffed up. Instead we read:
1 Corinthians 15:9 “least of the apostles,” Ephesians 3:8 “very least of all the saints,” 1 Timothy 1:15 “foremost of sinners”
- We are dead – we need to be made alive
Romans 3:23-24 – We are all sinners – we all fall short of the glory of God
Ephesians 2:1 – “As for you, you were dead in your transgressions and sins”
Ephesians 2:5 – “made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions–it is by grace you have been saved.”
Colossians 2:13 – “When you were dead in your sins and in the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made you alive with Christ. He forgave us all our sins”
- God humbles Himself – He makes us alive
Psalm 113:5-6 – “Who is like the LORD our God, Who is enthroned on high, Who humbles Himself to behold The things that are in heaven and in the earth?”
Psalm 18:35 – “You have given me the shield of your salvation. Your right hand supports me. Your gentleness makes me great.”
Philippians 2:7-8 – “Rather, He (Jesus Christ) made Himself nothing by taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled himself by becoming obedient to death– even death on a cross!”
- Exalt self = humbled, humble self = exalted
Luke 18:9-14 (Parable of the Two Men Who Prayed / Pharisee and the Tax Collector) – We get full of ourselves – We become like the self-exalting man Pharisee from parable – he prayed that he wasn’t like that sinner
1 Peter 5:6 – “So humble yourselves under the mighty power of God, and at the right time he will lift you up in honor.”
Numbers 12:3 – “Now the man Moses was very meek, more than all people who were on the face of the earth.” Aaron and Miriam trash talked Moses, God exalted Moses – with him I speak face to face
Proverbs 29:23 – “Pride ends in humiliation, while humility brings honor.
Bible Study Questions:
- In the Bible, humility is seen as submissiveness toward God. What are some things we need to recognize to be humble?
- If we are humble, we recognize God’s power and wisdom. This leads to accepting His will and leads to obedience. How do we see this in life?
- With humility comes suffering, hardships, and even persecution. Why do you think these things related?
- We are to be humble / meek; however, this does not mean we submit to everything. When are we not supposed to submit?
- How can we stay humble?
6. How does humility keep us from sin?