Tag Archives: ephesians 4:15
Dealing with Difficult People – 7/23/17
Romans 12:18– Do all that you can to live in peace with everyone.
Never Retaliate / Pray for Them
2 Samuel 16– Shimei Curses David, David doesn’t retaliate
2 Samuel 19 (Request for Justice) & 1 Kings 2 (Justice Delivered)
Pray for Yourself
Pray for a heart for all people
Colossians 3:12-34– Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.
Bless and Encourage Them
Hebrews 10:24– Let us think of ways to motivate one another to acts of love and good works.
Ephesians 4:29– Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.
Speak Truth in Love
Ephesians 4:15– Instead, we will speak the truth in love, growing in every way more and more like Christ, who is the head of his body, the church.
Don’t Run Away Unless Necessary
Moses grew in Humility and Compassion as he led the Israelites
The Israelites grumbled because they had no water (Numbers 11:4-6)
The Israelites wished they died in Egypt (Numbers 20:2-3)
The Israelites wanted to choose another leader (Numbers 14:2-4)
Moses prayed for healing for Miriam from leprosy (Numbers 12:13)
Moses prayed for the Israelites (Numbers 14:19)
Moses fasted 40 days and nights because of golden calf worship (Deuteronomy 9:13-18)
Planting for a Good Harvest – New Years Day 2017
God has been preparing things at DRCC for this year – A Year of Planting
First comes the Rototiller – breaks up the ground to prepare for the planting
Purging / Preparing / Setting up
MSG –“Give away your life; you’ll find life given back, but not merely given back—given back with bonus and blessing. Giving, not getting, is the way. Generosity begets generosity.”
NLT –“Give, and you will receive. Your gift will return to you in full–pressed down, shaken together to make room for more, running over, and poured into your lap. The amount you give will determine the amount you get back.”
[Proverbs 11:25]…One who waters will be watered
LOVE & SERVE GOD – RELATIONSHIP – INVESTING IN OTHERS
Where are you positioned to plant?
Plant where God positions you.(Remember Christmas Eve message – give all where you are placed).
Go where the Spirit leads you to plant – [Acts 16:6-7 / 1 Peter 1:2]
The Spirit didn’t allow Paul to go to Bithynia.
Paul was to go to Macedonia Greece. Others would plant at Bithynia.
Make the Most of every Opportunity. [Ephesians 5:15-16] BE INTENTIONAL
What are you planting?
THINK BEFORE YOU SPEAK/ACT – BE INTENTIONAL (Philippians 4:8)
T – Is it true? [Ephesians 4:15] “Instead, we will speak the truth in love, growing in every way more and more like Christ, who is the head of his body, the church.”
H – Is it helpful? [James 3:8-10]“But no one can tame the tongue. It is restless and evil, full of deadly poison. Sometimes it praises our Lord and Father, and sometimes it curses those who have been made in the image of God. And so blessing and cursing come pouring out of the same mouth. Surely, my brothers and sisters, this is not right!” [Ephesians 4:29] “Don’t use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them.” SPEAK LIFE
I – Is it inspiring? [Hebrews 10:24]“Let us think of ways to motivate one anotherto acts of love & good works.”BE AN ENCOURAGEMENT TO OTHERS
N – Is it necessary? [Proverbs 10:9] “Too much talk leads to sin. Be sensible and keep your mouth shut.”[James 1:19] “… slow to speak” [Proverbs 18:21]The tongue can bring death or life; those who love to talk will reap the consequences.
K – Is it kind? [2 Timothy 2:24-25]“A servant of the Lord must not quarrel but must be kind to everyone, be able to teach, and be patient with difficult people. Gently instructthose who oppose the truth…” [James 3:17-18]“But the wisdom from above is first of all pure. It is also peace loving, gentle at all times, and willing to yield to others. It is full of mercy and good deeds. It shows no favoritism and is always sincere. And those who are peacemakers will plant seeds of peace and reap a harvest of righteousness.”[Proverbs 6:19]“There are six things the LORD hates–no, seven things he detests: haughty eyes, a lying tongue, hands that kill the innocent, a heart that plots evil, feet that race to do wrong, a false witness who pours out lies, a person who sows discord in a family.” GOD DESIRES UNITY FOR HIS PEOPLE
OPEN YOUR HANDS – POUR OUT FOR JESUS – you will be blessed
“Let us not become weary in doing good for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.” [Galatians 6:9] – GET READY TO PLANT IN 2017.
Week 1 – Leadership 101
ALONE WITH GOD
John 15:5 – I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in Me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from Me you can do nothing. [ESV]
TOGETHER WITH OTHERS
Luke 22:25-26 – Jesus told them, “In this world the kings and great men lord it over their people, yet they are called ‘friends of the people.’ But among you it will be different. Those who are the greatest among you should take the lowest rank, and the leader should be like a servant. Who is more important, the one who sits at the table or the one who serves? The one who sits at the table, of course. But not here! For I am among you as one who serves. [NLT]
Philippians 2:3-4 – Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others. [ESV]
Psalm 90:12 – Teach us to number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom. [NIV]
Breakout Session Questions:
1) Read Mark 1:35, Luke 5:16, and Matthew 14:23. What do these passages say about the rhythm of prayer? How does time with God help you to better lead those you are called to lead? How can you be more intentional with your time with God?
2) Read Philippians 2:3-4. What does it mean to count someone more significant than yourself? Why is this an important quality for a leader? How can you be intentional to look out for the interests of others?
3) Personal Reflection: Rest is important. Do you have a Sabbath day, a day when you don’t work but you rest with God? If not, consider why you have not made this a priority.
Week 2 – Leadership 101
Ephesians 4:14-16 – Then we will no longer be infants, tossed back and forth by the waves, and blown here and there by every wind of teaching and by the cunning and craftiness of people in their deceitful scheming. Instead, speaking the truth in love, we will grow to become in every respect the mature body of him who is the head, that is, Christ. From him the whole body, joined and held together by every supporting ligament, grows and builds itself up in love, as each part does its work. [NIV]
John 3:30 – He must increase, but I must decrease. [ESV]
Colossians 3:17 – Whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through Him to God the Father. [NASB]
Act in LOVE
1 Corinthians 16:14 – Do everything in love [NIV] (1 Corinthians 13)
Protect your MORAL AUTHORITY
1 John 3:18 – Little children, let us not love with word or with tongue, but in deed and truth. [NASB]
Matthew 20:26-28 – It is not this way among you, but whoever wishes to become great among you shall be your servant, and whoever wishes to be first among you shall be your slave; just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many.” [NASB]
Breakout Session Questions:
1) Read Matthew 23:1-26. In verse 3, what does Jesus say to the people? What would the behavior of the Pharisees and scribes do the people they were leading? In verse 4, we read of the heavy loads that are put on the shoulders of people—loads the leaders would not be willing to carry. What can we glean from this as a leader? Verse 13 is harsh. What does it say? What does that mean? Verses 23-24 speak of the giving of the scribes and Pharisees. How does this poorly reflect a leader? Verses 25-26 speak of the clean outside and the dirty inside. What does this mean for a leader?
“With all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love, eager to maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.” (v. 2-3 ESV)
- 2 With ALL
humility, lowliness of mind, modesty
gentleness, mildness, gentle strength (power with reserve & strength)
patience, forbearance, longsuffering, steadfastness, staying power
bearing with one another in love, enduring with, suffer, admit, persist
- 3 Eager to maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace
ONE BODY – all part of one body
ONE SPIRIT – united by one Spirit – the Spirit of God – the Holy Spirit
ONE LORD – one Lord of all
ONE FAITH – one faith in Jesus Christ
ONE BAPTISM – one baptism in Christ
ONE GOD & FATHER OF ALL – one God, one Father of all
“To a true child of God, the invisible bond that unites all believers to Christ is far more tender, and lasting, and precious; and, as we come to recognize and realize that we are all dwelling in one sphere of life in Him, we learn to look on every believer as our brother, in a sense that is infinitely higher than all human relationships. This is the one and only way to bring disciples permanently together. All other plans for promoting the unity of the Church have failed.”
– A.T. Pierson
Bible Study Questions:
- Verse 7 mentions “grace given to each of us according to the measure of Christ’s gift.” What does this mean?
- Verse 11 mentions a list of different titles.
- What type of people were mentioned?
- What does Paul say these different people are responsible for?
- Verse 14 mentions what can happen to us.
- What can happen to us if we stay infants? What does this mean?
- How does this happen? (v. 14)
- How can we prevent this? (see verses 15-16)
- What happens when we each are united working together? (see verses 15-16)
This is one part of a 12-week Sermon Series and Bible Study focused on Ephesians. The 12 weeks include:
2 Corinthians 8:13-14 – “For I do not mean that others should be eased and you burdened, but that as a matter of fairness your abundance at the present time should supply their need, so that their abundance may supply your need, that there may be fairness.” (ESV) BURDEN & EASE
If one member of the body suffers – all suffer – 1 Corinthians 12:26
Burden causes fatigue, struggle, drowning—become overwhelmed & even angry
Yet we are to “Serve with gladness” – Psalm 100:2
- Delegation – You Cannot Do Everything
- Jethro & Moses (Exodus 18)
- Seven chosen for distribution including Stephen & Philip (Acts 6)
- Good reputation / Full of Spirit / Full of wisdom
- Know gifts / don’t serve in all areas – serve where you can give your all
- Not burdened that others may live at ease. Remember Exodus 16:18 – Manna was gathered and there was “nothing left over” and there was “no lack.” Each one gathered as much as they could eat.
- Recognize Burden – Take Note When You Are Drowning & Speak Up
- Moses says: “I am not able to carry all this people alone; the burden is too heavy for me” [Numbers 11:14 ESV]
- “Gather for me seventy of the elders… and I will take some of the Spirit that is on you and put it on them, and they shall bear the burden of the people with you, so that you may not bear it yourself alone.” [v. 16-17 ESV]
- Two is Better Than One [Ecclesiastes 4:9-12] – “Two are better than one, because they have a good reward for their toil. For if they fall, one will lift up his fellow. But woe to him who is alone when he falls and has not another to lift him up! Again, if two lie together, they keep warm, but how can one keep warm alone? And though a man might prevail against one who is alone, two will withstand him—a three-fold cord is not quickly broken.”(ESV)
- Jesus Above All
- Guard the Gospel [2 Timothy 1:12-14] “Which is why I suffer as I do. But I’m not ashamed, for I know whom I have believed, and I am convinced that he is able to guard until that Day what he has entrusted to me. Following the pattern of the sound words that you have heard from me, in the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus. By the Holy Spirit who dwells within us, guard the good deposit entrusted to you.” (ESV)
- Keep aware not to take away from another’s walk. Equip. Empower.
Ephesians 4:15-16 “Rather, speaking the truth in love, we are to grow up in every way into Him who is the head, into Christ, from whom the whole body, joined and held together by every joint with which it is equipped, when each part is working properly, makes the body grow so that it builds itself up in love.” (ESV)