Tag Archives: epistle
The Gospel is…
- Good News of God (v. 5)
- The Word of Truth (v. 6)
- The Message of God’s Grace (v. 6)
- Centered in a person – Jesus (v. 4)
- Universal – It is for the whole world (v. 6)
- Humanly transmitted (v. 7)
- Productive – Multiplies (v. 6)
People believed. People were discipled. People were faithful in Christ.
FAITH in Jesus and LOVE for God’s people that spring from HOPE stored up in heaven (v. 4-5)
God’s way = the best way
How blessed is everyone who fears the LORD, Who walks in His ways. (Psalm 128:1 NASB)
God’s way = the only real peace
And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:7 ESV)
God’s way = the only real joy
I have told you these things so that you will be filled with my joy. Yes, your joy will overflow! (John 15:11 NLT)
God’s way = the only true and lasting reward
So do not throw away your confidence; it will be richly rewarded. (Hebrews 10:35 NIV)
Bible Study Questions:
1) How does Paul introduce himself to the Colossians? How does he address the Colossians?
2) Paul wrote that he was thankful for the Colossians. What specifically made Paul thankful and excited for this church in Colossae? (see v. 3-8)
3) Paul never met the people in Colossae. Who shared the Gospel with these people? How is he described?
4) What is the Gospel? Read Acts 2:22-24, Acts 16:30-31, and 1 Corinthians 15:3-4.
5) One of the unmistakable characteristics of the Gospel is God’s grace in all its truth. John 1:14, 17 says: “And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen His glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth… For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ” (ESV).
How do you define grace?
How do you define truth?
How can you share God’s grace?
How can you share God’s truth?