Tag Archives: free Sunday School
8 – For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light. [NIV]
9 – For this light within you produces only what is good and right and true. [NLT]
11 – Take no part in the unfruitful works of darkness, but instead expose them. [ESV]
13 – But when anything is exposed by the light, it becomes visible. [ESV]
15 – Therefore be careful how you walk, not as unwise men but as wise. [NASB]
16 – Make the most of your opportunities because these are evil days. [GW]
17 – So then do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is. [NASB]
18 – And don’t get drunk with wine, which leads to reckless actions, but be filled by the Spirit. [HCSB]
Taking the Next Step
- Share Truth with Grace – this exposes the darkness
- Make the most of your opportunities – even if you are a small flicker, it’s light
- Understand the will of God – Prayer and Bible study crucial
- Allow the Spirit to move through you rather than the world deciding your path
Bible Study Questions:
GOD IS LIGHT:
- Read 1 John 1:5. This verse says that God is Light. Further it says that in Him there is no darkness. What does it mean when John writes that “God is Light”?
- God is Light but He is also the Father of Light (see James 1:17) and the Possessor of Light (see 1 Peter 2:9). What does this mean? How has God shined His light in your life? Consider this and share on the rays of light paper.
- In 1 Timothy 6:16, it says that God lives in unapproachable light. This passage is a great reminder that God is pure and holy. We read in the Bible that no one can set eyes on God. When God passed by Moses, recall how God had to cover Moses until He passed (see Exodus 33-34). We are able to approach God now through Christ Jesus alone. The veil is torn. Remember that nothing can stand in the way of you and your relationship with God. Jesus has bridged the gap. Consider what gets in the way of you and God. Take a piece of paper. Write down what gets in the way. Tear the paper, remembering that the veil is torn. Nothing need come between you and your Father.
- In John 1:5, we read that the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness can never extinguish it. What does this mean to you? Why can’t the light be extinguished? Pray for the Spirit to reveal how you can shine His light in the darkness.
REBELS OF LIGHT:
- Read Job 24:13-14. There are people who are rebels of light. They do not know the ways of God. These people walk in the darkness.
- Read Isaiah 5:20. This verse speaks about those who call evil good and good evil. We see these people so often in the world. How can we share some light in this dark world? Take a candle. Light it using one of the lit candles at the table. Place it with the other candles and pray for this light to multiply out into our streets.
This is one part of a 12-week Sermon Series and Bible Study focused on Ephesians. The 12 weeks include:
The Power of God – Omnipotence (all-powerful)
- Parted the Red Sea & the Jordan River
- Reattached the ear of the soldier
- Raised the dead – Resurrection Power!
God’s power is GREAT – God’s power is UNABLE TO BE MEASURED
- 19 “And what is the immeasurable greatness of His power toward us who believe, according to the working of his great might.” [ESV]
- 21-22 “Now He is far above any ruler or authority or power or leader or anything else–not only in this world but also in the world to come. God has put all things under the authority of Christ and has made him head over all things for the benefit of the church.” [NLT]
All things under the feet of Jesus
He is above
- All authorities
- All powers
- All dominions
- Every name named in this age & the age to come
- The Church
- God raised Jesus – defeated death / broke the power of death (v. 20a)
- God seated Jesus at His right hand – and we are seated with Him! (v. 20b)
- God set Jesus over all demonic powers (v. 21)
- God gave Jesus as head over all things to the Church (v. 22)
- Where God rules, we believers rule (v. 23)
The Apostle Paul is praying in this passage. He wants us to know three things:
- The hope to which He has called you
- The riches of His glorious inheritance in the saints
- The immeasurable greatness of His power toward us who believe
Paul is saying…
- You have the calling
- You are heirs – you have an inheritance
- You have the power of God
He is praying that you may KNOW – that you would know this power toward us
Bible Study Questions:
How would you describe the power of God?
We have the power of God within us. Why does it sometimes seem otherwise? What gets in the way of this power?
What helps us to know the power of God?
How can we use this power within us?
Read 1 Peter 4:11. Why do we want to live our lives with this power?
When you have seen the power of God at work?