Tag Archives: in need
2 Corinthians 8:13-14 – “For I do not mean that others should be eased and you burdened, but that as a matter of fairness your abundance at the present time should supply their need, so that their abundance may supply your need, that there may be fairness.” (ESV) BURDEN & EASE
If one member of the body suffers – all suffer – 1 Corinthians 12:26
Burden causes fatigue, struggle, drowning—become overwhelmed & even angry
Yet we are to “Serve with gladness” – Psalm 100:2
- Delegation – You Cannot Do Everything
- Jethro & Moses (Exodus 18)
- Seven chosen for distribution including Stephen & Philip (Acts 6)
- Good reputation / Full of Spirit / Full of wisdom
- Know gifts / don’t serve in all areas – serve where you can give your all
- Not burdened that others may live at ease. Remember Exodus 16:18 – Manna was gathered and there was “nothing left over” and there was “no lack.” Each one gathered as much as they could eat.
- Recognize Burden – Take Note When You Are Drowning & Speak Up
- Moses says: “I am not able to carry all this people alone; the burden is too heavy for me” [Numbers 11:14 ESV]
- “Gather for me seventy of the elders… and I will take some of the Spirit that is on you and put it on them, and they shall bear the burden of the people with you, so that you may not bear it yourself alone.” [v. 16-17 ESV]
- Two is Better Than One [Ecclesiastes 4:9-12] – “Two are better than one, because they have a good reward for their toil. For if they fall, one will lift up his fellow. But woe to him who is alone when he falls and has not another to lift him up! Again, if two lie together, they keep warm, but how can one keep warm alone? And though a man might prevail against one who is alone, two will withstand him—a three-fold cord is not quickly broken.”(ESV)
- Jesus Above All
- Guard the Gospel [2 Timothy 1:12-14] “Which is why I suffer as I do. But I’m not ashamed, for I know whom I have believed, and I am convinced that he is able to guard until that Day what he has entrusted to me. Following the pattern of the sound words that you have heard from me, in the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus. By the Holy Spirit who dwells within us, guard the good deposit entrusted to you.” (ESV)
- Keep aware not to take away from another’s walk. Equip. Empower.
Ephesians 4:15-16 “Rather, speaking the truth in love, we are to grow up in every way into Him who is the head, into Christ, from whom the whole body, joined and held together by every joint with which it is equipped, when each part is working properly, makes the body grow so that it builds itself up in love.” (ESV)
We have become a very independent people. But self dependence has caused a slavery of self reliance. We depend on ourselves. We try to control our circumstances to ensure our lives. We take on the burden. We define our meaning and significance. We are in charge of our security and safety.
God did not create us to be this way. God wants to free us from ourselves. We weren’t meant to be burdened in this way.
God is our meaning, our significance, our security, our safety and protection. He is our hope. Only those people who find themselves in need of a Savior will look for one. Only those people searching for a Savior will recognize one. Let go and let God. Let God define you. Let God be your meaning and significance. Let God be your security, your protection. Let it go.
“Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God.” – 2 Corinthians 3:5 [ESV]