[The Good Samaritan: Luke 10:25-37]
Compassion – Deep awareness of the sufferings or misfortunes of another with a desire to relieve it.
Verse 37 – And he said, “The one who showed mercy toward him.” Then Jesus said to him, “Go and do the same.” [NASB]
Mercy – eleos (el’-eh-os) – pity, mercy, compassion, tender mercy, kindness
Same – homoiós (hom-oy’-oce) – In like manner, similarly, in the same way, equally
Psalm 86:15 – “But you, O Lord, are a God of compassion and mercy, slow to get angry and filled with unfailing love and faithfulness.” [NLT]
Compassion – Rachum – (rakh-oom’) – compassionate, full of compassion
Jesus expressed compassion to:
- Weary (Matthew 11)
- Tempted (Hebrews 2)
- Helpless (Mark 9)
- Sorrowful (Luke 7)
- Multitudes (Matthew 15)
Zechariah 7:9 – “Thus says the LORD of hosts, Render true judgments, show kindness and mercy to one another.” [ESV]
Colossians 3:12 – “Therefore, God’s chosen ones, holy and loved, put on heartfelt compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.” [HCSB]
“Until he extends the circle of his compassion to all living things, man will not himself find peace.” – Albert Schweitzer
Bible Study Questions:
1) Before the Parable was told, Jesus was tested by a lawyer. The lawyer answered correctly about the Law (v. 27). He knew what God’s Word said. Jesus said, “Do this, and you will live.” What was the “do this”?
2) The lawyer intended to justify himself and asked, “Who is my neighbor”? In the last verse of the passage, Jesus asks him who was his neighbor. Which fellow from the Parable was the neighbor? What did he do for the man?
3) What did the compassionate fellow do for the man that can remind us of the unfailing, unending compassion of our God? (See verse 35)
4) What do you think it means to be compassionate toward someone? Was there a time in your life when you did this to another? Was there a time when someone showed compassion to you?
5) Jesus showed compassion to all people, and these people each lived in various circumstances. How can we show compassion to the
- Weary –
- Tempted –
- Helpless –
- Sorrowful –
- Multitudes –
More Than A Story is a 12-week Sermon Series and Bible Study focused on the parables of Jesus.
This is a poem that I wrote for a very special person. See you soon.
Mary Got A Promotion
“Love Justice & Seek Mercy
And Walk Humbly with your God”
“Love your Neighbor as yourself
Be Kind and Compassionate”
“Work Hard at Whatever you do
As Working for the Lord”
“Honor your parents
Teach your children”
“Follow My example
Walk in the way of love”
Today is a day of celebration.
Today is a day to rejoice.
God said “Good job My faithful servant”
Mary got a promotion.