“And I ask Him that with both feet planted firmly on love, you’ll be able to take in with all followers of Jesus the extravagant dimensions of Christ’s love. Reach out and experience the breadth! Test its length! Plumb the depths! Rise to the heights! Live full lives, full in the fullness of God” 17-19 [MSG]
17 – Rooted deep in love… founded securely on love
18-19 – Strength to comprehend…
BREADTH – extends to all
John 3:16 – For God so LOVED THE WORLD
LENGTH – everlasting duration
Romans 8:37-39 – Nothing can separate you from LOVE of GOD
DEPTH – Christ’s humility saves those from pit of sin
Ephesians 2:4-5 – When dead in trespasses made alive
Romans 5:8 – While still sinners, Christ died for us
HEIGHT – raises to glory
Ephesians 2:6 – Raised & seated with God because united with Jesus
2 Corinthians 4:14 – Raises us with Jesus and brings us into His presence
Know the Love of Christ that…
Fills you with all the fullness of God
“We should be astonished at the goodness of God, stunned that He should bother to call us by name, our mouths wide open at His love, bewildered that at this very moment we are standing on holy ground.” – Brennan Manning
Bible Study Questions:
- We usually gauge the depth of someone’s love for us by the cost of that love. Many times we look at the sacrifices, the money, the time we give as a way to measure the love. How can we measure Christ’s love by what it cost Him?
- We can gauge the depth of someone’s love for us by how much we actually deserve the love. If we are not so nice to someone and they love us compared to someone who loves us when we treat them well, there is a difference. It’s more difficult to love some people. How can we measure Christ’s love by how much we deserve it?
- We can gauge the depth of someone’s love for us by the greatness of the benefits we receive from being loved. What are the benefits we receive from Christ’s love?
- We can gauge the depth of someone’s love by the freedom with which they love us, meaning that the person isn’t doing something because they are made to do so, but because they choose, they so desire. How free is the love of Christ?
- What gets in the way from you accepting the love of Christ? What gets in the way from you showing the love of Christ to the body of Christ (the Church)?
This is one part of a 12-week Sermon Series and Bible Study focused on Ephesians. The 12 weeks include:
Peter and John were proclaiming the Good News. It disturbed people and they were put in prison. Annas the high priest and Caiaphas questioned them. They spoke of Jesus and the salvation only possible through Him. They were commanded to not speak or teach in the name of Jesus.
“As for us, we cannot help speaking about what we have seen and heard” – Acts 4:20 [NIV]
- “We cannot stop telling” [NLT]
- “We cannot stop talking” [GW]
- “There’s no question – we can’t keep quiet” [MSG]
Philip and the Ethiopian Eunuch
Told to “Rise and go toward the south” (v. 26) “he rose and went” (v. 27)
2) Spirit Led
Ready to listen to God’s instruction – an angel of the Lord said (v. 26)
3) Specific Instructions
Spirit said go over and join this chariot (v. 29)
4) Concern for Others
Concerned about others understanding
“Do you understand what you are reading?” (v. 30)
5) Wait for the Open Door
No I need help – BOOM – DOOR OPEN
Begins with Isaiah passage and then speaks about the Good News of Jesus (v. 31)
6) Don’t stand in the way
What prevents me from being baptized?
Nothing (v. 37-38)
7) Don’t miss a beat
Spirit of Philip is carried away
His service is done – Onward and upward (v. 39-40)
This is one of the 4 part Acts series:
Are You Ready for Solid Food?
[[Read Hebrews 5:11 – 6:4]]
“You have been believers so long now that you ought to be teaching others. Instead, you need someone to teach you again the basic things about God’s word. You are like babies who need milk and cannot eat solid food.” – Hebrews 5:12 [NLT]
Hebrews 6:1-4 Breakdown:
- Basic Foundation
- Basic Instruction
- Holy Spirit
- God’s Grace
- “And so, God willing, we will move forward to further understanding.” (6:3 NLT)
- God’s Grace allows for Spiritual Maturity
You aren’t meant to stay a child living on milk.
What keeps you a Milk Drinker?
- Laziness (v. 11) – Where is the passion / desire?
- Lack of Influence (v.12) – Ought to be teaching but need retaught
- Dull Discernment (vs. 13-14) – Unable to discern good and evil
From Milk to Solid Food…
- Drink Milk – “Pure Spiritual Milk” (1 Peter 2:2) – The Gospel
- Swallow & Digest Milk – Milk produces renewed mind
- Practice, Practice, Practice
- Satisfaction Promotes Discernment
Psalm 63:1, 8
O God, you are my God; earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for You; my flesh faints for You, as in a dry and weary land where there is no water… my soul clings to You; Your right hand upholds me. [ESV]