I’ve Got the Power
“I also pray that you will understand the incredible greatness of God’s power for us who believe him. This is the same mighty power that raised Christ from the dead and seated him in the place of honor at God’s right hand in the heavenly realms.” – Ephesians 1:19 [NLT]
How to Get It?
“Peter replied, ‘Each of you must repent of your sins and turn to God, and be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. Then you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. This promise is to you, and to your children, and even to the Gentilesh—all who have been called by the Lord our God.‘ Then Peter continued preaching for a long time, strongly urging all his listeners, ‘Save yourselves from this crooked generation!‘Those who believed what Peter said were baptized and added to the church that day—about 3,000 in all.“ – Acts 2:38-41 [NLT]
- Hear the Word
- God Calls you to Himself
- You receive the Word – Repent & Trust Him
How you Quench or Grieve It?
- Quench—1 Thessalonians 5:19 – Do not quench the Spirit. (NIV) Do not stifle the Holy Spirit. (NLT) [[Suppressive / Destructive / Non-Unifying]]
- Holy Spirit – Fire – Purifying / Enlightening / Enlivening – Don’t despise Spiritual Gifts
- NOT ALLOWING HIM TO MOVE FREELY
- Grieve—Ephesians 4:30 – And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. (ESV) [[“Lupe” – To cause grief / To offend]]
- Lying, angry, corrupt behavior – actions, behavior towards God and others
- ACTING OUT IN SINFUL MANNER
How You Use It?
Counsels You (John 14:16)
Cleanses you (Romans 15:16)
Comforts you (2 Corinthians 1:3)
Empowers you (Romans 15:13)
Helps you when weak (Romans 8:26)
Gives you confidence (2 Corinthians 5:5-6)
Assures adoption in God’s family (Galatians 4:6-7)
Encourages you (Acts 9:31)
Gives you new life (Romans 8:11)
Gives you wisdom & revelation (Ephesians 1:17)
Leads you to all truth (John 16:13)
Helps you pray (Romans 8:26)
Convicts you (John 16:8)
Strengthens & renews you (Ephesians 3:16)
Brings you reassurance (Romans 8:16)
Sanctifies you (2 Thessalonians 2:13)
Fills you (Ephesians 5:18)
Gives you joy (1 Thessalonians 1:6)
Helps you remember (John 14:26)
Dispenses God’s love in our hearts (Romans 5:5)
Here’s a sermon / devotion outline for Genesis 19. You can download the outline below.
Don’t Look Back
“We are about to destroy this place, because their outcry has become so great before the LORD that the LORD has sent us to destroy it” (v. 13 NASB).
LOT HESITATED – v. 15 – so the men seized his hand and the hands of his wife and daughters. FOR THE COMPASSION OF THE LORD WAS UPON HIM.
When they were outside city, “Escape for your life. DO NOT LOOK BEHIND YOU and do not stay anywhere in the valley” (v. 17 NASB).
“BUT HIS WIFE, FROM BEHIND HIM, LOOKED BACK, AND SHE BECAME A PILLAR OF SALT” (v. 26 NASB).
Lot’s daughters – got dad drunk – got pregnant – Moab and Ben-Ammi — Moabites and Ammonites.
You can take Lot’s daughters out of Sodom but you couldn’t take Sodom out of Lot’s daughters.
- Remember what the Lord has said and done in your life – journal, remind yourself when you need reminding. Ex: Passover Meal – reminder of Exodus and God seeing His people out of Egypt. “Seek the LORD and His strength; Seek His face continually. Remember His wonders which He has done, His marvels and the judgments uttered by His mouth.” – Psalm 105:4-5 [NIV].
- Don’t look back desiring your old life. Lot’s wife looked back because she didn’t want to let go of what was back there. Isaiah 43:18-19 says “Forget all that – it is nothing compared to what I am going to do. For I am about to do something new. See, I have already begun! Do you not see it? I will make a pathway through the wilderness. I will create rivers in the dry wasteland” (NLT). Philippians 3:13-14 “Brothers and sisters, I myself don’t think I’ve reached it, but I do this one thing: I forget about the things behind me and reach out for the things ahead of me. The goal I pursue is the prize of God’s upward call in Christ Jesus” (CEB).
- Seek the Holy Spirit to help you in your weakness and to help you pray (Romans 8:26) and to live your new life in Christ (Romans 8:11).
- Keep yourself in God’s Word and remember to focus on what is true, honorable, right, pure, lovely, good repute, excellent, worthy of praise (Philippians 4:8)
- Belt of Truth
- Breastplate of Righteousness