We spend a lot of money and time trying to gain knowledge and understanding. Some of us have huge student loan debts. Some of us have shelves or tablets filled with books. I know many people who have numerous degrees in various fields. I am very thankful for my college education, and I learned a lot; however, the granter of wisdom is the Lord. From His mouth come knowledge and understanding.
Many people spend a lifetime trying to understand life, not realizing that the LORD grants wisdom—knowledge and understanding come from His mouth! Some people dig deep into books and learn so much, yet they deny our Father. They can speak volumes of facts, but do not know the Source of all wisdom. As a result, they do not know the truth. They miss the greater revelation of Christ Jesus. It’s sad.
Today, spend some time with He Who grants wisdom. Dig into the Word. Seek His wisdom. Pray for wisdom. Ask for Him to reveal His truth to you. Ask for knowledge and understanding. He is the wisdom granter.
“For the LORD grants wisdom! From His mouth come knowledge and understanding.” – Proverbs 2:6 [NLT]
- “Wise minds and spirits attuned to His will” [MSG]
- “All the wisdom & understanding that His Spirit gives” [CEV]
- “God to give you complete knowledge of His will and to give you spiritual wisdom and understanding” [NLT]
- Practical Obedience (1:10) – Knowledge & obedience go together
True spiritual wisdom must affect daily life
Wisdom / Walk / Work – Cannot work for God unless we walk with Him, cannot walk with Him if ignorant to His will
General will = clearly in Bible Specific will = always agrees with Bible
Knowing general will makes it easier to know specific will for daily life
God wants us to:
- Know His Will (Acts 22:14)
- Understand His Will (Ephesians 5:17)
Paul prayed for ALL wisdom & understanding, COMPLETE knowledge…
Complete = Filled full Filled = Controlled by
- Filled with _______ (ex: anger, jealously)
- Filled with Spirit (Ephesians 5:18)
Controlled by full knowledge of God’s will
How? By all wisdom & spiritual insights. Understand will of God through Word of God. Holy Spirit teaches us to submit to Him (John 14:26, John 16:31)
- You will live a life that honors the Lord
- You will always please Him by doing good deeds
- You will come to know God even better
- You will be patient & strong to endure everything because of His power
- You will be truly happy
Bible Study Questions:
1) Paul prayed for the Colossians to have ALL wisdom and understanding. He grasped that God wants us to know and understand His will – and to do this would bring us closer to Him. With our reading, the words patient and strong and happy appear. What does this mean for us?
2) What is the hardest thing about following God’s will?
3) When we have this completeness (fullness), we will be controlled by it. We will then be able to determine what God wants. How do we determine God’s Will—how do we determine what He wants?
4) Let us dig deeper into God’s Word.
Read each of these verses and decide what each verse says about God’s will for us.
- Read 2 Peter 3:9
- Read Ephesians 5:18
- Read 1 Thessalonians 4:3
- Read 1 Peter 2:15
- Read 1 Peter 5:10
- Read Psalm 37:4