I love the Parable of the Pearl of Great Value. The parable says, “The kingdom of heaven is like a merchant in search of fine pearls, who, on finding one pearl of great value, went and sold all that he had and bought it” (v. 45-26 ESV). He sold ALL HE HAD to buy it. What a great pearl!
The parable speaks of the pearl of great value. So what about the lesser pearls? What about the things in life that are of lesser value? Consider for a moment a person who goes out searching for pearls, finds these lesser pearls, and gives everything away for them.
We want the greater pearl. It should be our goal in life. But there are times when we don’t live like we are going for the greater pearl. We toss it all for the lesser pearls. Today let us pray for the Spirit to reveal these lesser pearls in our life so that we can toss them aside. This merchant was looking for fine pearls but he found one pearl, one pearl of great value. May each of us turn our eyes from fine pearls and seek the one pearl of great value—the only one with eternal value.
“When he discovered a pearl of great value, he sold everything he owned and bought it!” – Matthew 13:36 [NLT]
Here’s a sermon outline from a message I shared on the Slavery of Self-Reliance. You may download the outline below. Please note there was no illustration with this message but instead I spoke of King Asa of Judah from 2 Chronicles 16 giving the gold and silver from the Temple to Ben-Hadad King of Syria.
Slavery of Self-Reliance
Everyone needs: Meaning / Purpose / Security / Safety / Significance / Worth / Value
Self-reliant / Self-determination / Self-Dependence / Independent / Self-Sufficient / Self-Contained
The world sees these as good things / the world applauds these things
The problem: These things enslave us. Burden of Self-Reliance à when all relies on you à Slavery
The solution: God wants to free us from ourselves
God is our: meaning / purpose / significance / security / safety / protection
- God provides you meaning and purpose
- Isaiah 43:7 – God has made you for His glory.
- 1 Corinthians 10:31 – Whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.
- Matthew 5:16 – Let your light shine before others to glorify God
- God provides you security
- Proverbs 3:26 – “For the LORD is your security. He will keep your foot from being caught in a trap” (NLT).
- God provides you safety
- Psalm 18:2 – “The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.”
- Psalm 91:2 – “… He alone is my refuge, my place of safety…” (NLT)
- Proverbs 18:10 – Godly run to God and are safe
- God provides you significance and worth and value
- Genesis 1:27 – God made you in His image
- Psalm 139:13 – God created each of us individually – knit you in your mother’s womb with certain abilities & gifts – allows certain experiences – all so you can be of great worth to His Kingdom – YOU CAN DO GREAT THINGS! (John 14:12 – “… anyone who believes in me will do the same works I have done, and even greater works…” NLT).
- Ephesians 2:10 – “For we are God’s masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago” (NLT).
Only those who stand in need of a savior will look for and recognize one.
Proverbs 3:5 – “Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding.” (ESV)
Jeremiah 17:5-8 – “This is what the LORD says: ‘Cursed are those who put their trust in mere humans, who rely on human strength and turn their hearts away from the LORD. They are like stunted shrubs in the desert, with no hope for the future. They will live in the barren wilderness, in an uninhabited salty land. But blessed are those who trust in the LORD and have made the LORD their hope and confidence. They are like trees planted along a riverbank, with roots that reach deep into the water. Such trees are not bothered by the heat or worried by long months of drought. Their leaves stay green, and they never stop producing fruit.”
Money has been tight and we have had to make some cuts; one of the cuts we have made was the dog bones. When things are going okay, we give the dog a bone daily to help him clean his teeth, and he gets this bone first thing in the morning. The dog remembers he is to receive a bone in the morning; however, when it doesn’t come, he still sits by my side, still wants to be with me. He loves me with or without the bones.
God loves us with or without us doing anything. His love for us is not based on what we do, but on who He is—His character. He showed us this love before we were even born by sending His Son Jesus to die for our sins and then be raised on the third day. He did this all before you were born because He values you—He loves you—because He wants to do life with you. He knew where you would be right now, this very second, and still wanted to be with you.
Today, consider His love for you—consider how much you are worth to God. God made a way for you to return to Him and He has a great purpose for your life.
“So God created mankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them.” – Genesis 1:27 [NIV]
“For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.” – John 3:16 [NIV]